Thursday, January 7, 2010

~ Homebirth Baby #1: She's Three ~


I had really wanted to post this yesterday but it just never got done. My baby girl turned three yesterday, oh were does the time go. She was my first planned homebirth. I was rather large with my DD, at seven and a half months I measured almost full term. I was uncomfortable and ready to have a baby, but needed to get to 37 weeks first. I finally made it, but she was still so high up and I was only dilated to two at my 37 week(on a Thursday) appointment, I wanted to cry, in fact, I think I did cry. I just wanted to have this baby, but my midwife thought that her head still felt small and that we should give her another week, but she had plans of her own.
I went to bed and woke up at about 2:30 with contractions 7 minutes apart and about 45 seconds long. At 5:30 my contractions were two minutes apart and about 90 seconds long. I woke my husband up and told him to go and call the midwife, because I was getting in the shower. The midwife got there and set up all her stuff, I really didn't notice, I was busy. I have found that for me the best way to labor is standing up leaning on a piece of furniture and being able to rock back and forth, letting gravity help the baby drop down. At 7:25 I told my midwife that I was at ten centimeter and to break my water, she did and baby arrived at 7:31. It was one of the best experiences of my life and there is no way I could go back to a hospital setting. I nursed her right away to help deliver the placenta and them my husband took her downstairs to meet her new brothers, who had woken up just after she was born, took one look at her and said "Bring her down when she doesn't look so icky". I got in the shower while my midwifes were cleaning up and got out of the shower and into my own bed. With my previous baby, the bed had made me hurt more that giving birth did(he was early and a small baby). I would take my temperature and the baby's temp when we woke up and she nursed. I was served breakfast, lunch, and dinner in my own bed. I had been talked out of homebirth with my first two babies, I was so glad that I had stuck to my guns with this one.
I strongly encourage you to explore the world of homebirth. People who say homebirth is dangerous often don't know the facts and quite often scare tactics are used to convince us that a hospital is the only place to have a baby. A qualified homebirth midwife has all of the same equipment as in a hospital room and will advise you if you need to be transferred to the hospital. It is a perfectly safe and natural way to give birth at your own pace in a comfortable setting. Our bodies were divinely created and they know what to do. I have never had pain meds with any of my babies, I believe that when you numb yourself to what's happening you create a disconnect between yourself and your baby and your labor itself. If you can feel your body's rhythm you can work with it and have a successful natural deliver that God intended you to have. If you have any other question please email me!

No comments:

Post a Comment