Tuesday, September 7, 2010

~ Spicy Fermented Dilly Beans & Pickles with One Rock'in Jar of Cultured Root Veggies ~

I am having a ton of fun with fermenting veggies. Our favorite around here is spicy dilly beans and pickles. The above ingredients are fresh golden and chioggia beets, carrots, onion, garlic, and ginger. I normally don't like beets but this is the best. I have decided that I really like my lacto-fermented veggies spicy! Packing my jars with garden fresh green beans.
Spicy Dilly Beans Recipe:
enough beans to pack a quart jar or any jar you have full
some dill
garlic cloves
spicy red pepper flakes or whole pieces of your favorite spicy pepper, seeds intact
sea salt
I only wash my beans if they look super dirty and I trim the ends. We like garlic in this house so I usually slice 3 to 4 medium garlic cloves per quart jar and throw them in the bottom. Toss your pepper flakes in the bottom (or if you are using slices of pepper, mix them in when you add you beans). Next pack your beans in and then push 3 to 4 sprigs of dill between the sides of the jar and the beans. I sprinkle a tablespoon of sea salt over the top of my beans, pour warm water in to fill up my jar. If I have done a really good job packing in my beans they won't float to the top. You want to make sure the the beans are completely cover with liquid or they will mold. If your beans aren't covered you can cut down a plastic lid to push in the top of the jar or use a ceramic weight. I would suggest using a ceramic weight over the plastic but use what you have. Put on you lid and then I very gently shake my jar to make sure the salt moves around and dissolves. Let them sit out on the counter covered for two or three days, until you see tiny bubbles forming around the top of your jar and then put them in the fridge.
All ready for a little liquid, colorful golden beets & carrots and two jars of spicy dilly beans with a few pickles thrown in to fill up the one jar.
My current line up from left to right: kosher style dill pickles, curried lemon cucumber relish with peach and garlic(this is so yummy, recipe coming soon), ginger ale starter for lacto-fermented soda pop(this is also really yummy), raw milk from our cow set out to make whey, and two more jars of kosher style dill pickles.

No comments:

Post a Comment