Monday, November 22, 2010

~ Sweet Potato Pie ~

This post is part of The Nourishing Gourmet's: Whole Foods for the Holidays: Side Dish Carnival

 This has got to be one of my most favorite dishes in the whole wide world. I eat it for breakfast its that good. When I was little the sweet potatoes were always candied, with those gross little marshmallows on top and no one could ever figure out why I wouldn't eat them. "They are good, they are like candy"

Even has a five year old I knew that candy was not supposed to be a side dish. I don't have a picture for you just yet, the last one was devoured by the members of our 4H club at the Thanksgiving Family Dinner before I got a picture of it.

 9" baked ww pie shell or coconut crust (1/2 cup melted butter and 2 cups unsweetened coconut meat, finely shredded;mix and bake at 300 for 30 minutes)
5 cups of mash sweet potatoes or winter squash or mixture of both
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup rapadura sugar or honey
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tbsp unsulphured molasses
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp all spice

2 tbsp butter
3/4 cup crispy pecans

 Bake sweet potatoes and/or squash till tender. Use food processor to blend until smooth, add everything else but the extra butter and pecans. Pour into pie shell. Melt butter and pour over top. Sprinkle with pecans. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment