Saturday, April 19, 2014

~ Grain-free Baby Porridge ~


Lauren from Empowered Sustenance posted a recipe for No Oat Paleo Oatmeal. I was intrigued. Grains are a big no-no for healing Autoimmune Hashimoto's and I love a good hot breakfast cereal.

We also do not do grains until two as that is when a baby develops the necessary enzymes to digest properly prepared grains. My other babies have not really been interested in food until around the 10 - 12 month mark but not this big guy. Not only does he nurse every four hours but he sits at the table with us for every meal and has bites of what everyone else is eating. Breakfast gets tricky because he can not handle egg yolk yet and I will not give him the gluten free pancakes we have on occasion. He uses baby sign language to tell me when he is all done so while we utilize baby led weaning for meals, I feel okay feeding him this with a spoon.

I followed Lauren's instructions and used the mashed banana instead of egg. I pureed some peaches and used those to thin it down a bit. I left out the shredded coconut for baby. I will add it in next time. My other kids added blueberries, chia seeds, chopped nuts and even my little one with a sweet tooth didn't ask for extra sweetener. Love that!

What are your go-to favorite toppings/mix-ins for hot breakfast porridge?

Shared at Simple Saturday Blog Hop


No comments:

Post a Comment