Friday, April 11, 2014

~ Finances on Friday ~

Rebecca at Renaissance is hosting Finances on Friday, a chance to share the ways you saved a penny or two this week.

* I have been saving for a rug for the living room for a year and every time I get a little stash going we end up having to spend it on something else, until this week. I spotted the clearance sticker, over half off the original price and it was perfect for out living room. The colors can't match any better.

* I do not like mowing yard. I have now manage to turn our entire front yard into raised beds and we wood chip between them. We are able to get all the free wood chips we want from the power company. The are not at all a pretty color and they often times have large twigs and such in them, but their free!



* I did my grocery shopping for the next six weeks utilizing Costco and Azure Standards. For the seven of us I spent roughly $550 and there is a bit left over for more fresh produce when we run out.

* I was able to get all of the hanging baskets I have planted ahead of time so that they will have a nice head start when it's warm enough to put them out. Hanging baskets can cost $15+. All the seeds I used I had left from last year.



*Washed up all the winter clothes and put all the really heavy items (carharts) to hang dry.

* Used recycled boxes and lumber we all ready had to build my potato boxes. Square foot gardening + vertical gardening for the win!



*Found free photo editing software that has been a ton of fun to play with.

* Was able to borrow a serger from a friend so that I can take all of the worn our flannel sheets and create a bunch of "paper" towels, more cloth baby wipes and trim down the toddler prefolds.

All in all it was a pretty good week around here. Have any money saving tips to share?

5 comments:

  1. I'm visiting from Rebecca's. What a terrific job you did this week! $550 for six weeks is fantastic for 7 people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all fairness Terri, one of those seven is a nursling but I figure I eat his share everyday plus my own. We also raise or buy all our meat from local farmers, milk our own cow, and have chickens for eggs. I was able to find some great deals and there were lots of things on sale at Azure Standards. Azure has definitely saved my grocery budget with the food allergies that I have to work around. Without them, I would be spending double what I do a month to feed everyone.

      Delete
  2. Way to go, Megan! It was so fun seeing YOUR side of blogdom. (I so appreciate your comments on mine!)

    I am suffering from some SERIOUS greenhouse envy over here right now. SERIOUS envy. bad. bad. Where, if you don't mind me asking, did you get that green shelving? I have the lights but my husband is too busy to make me shelves so for two years now I have had lights but no set-up.

    YAY on the rug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have been wanting to link up the past few weeks but could never get everything written down in time. :)

      The green house was a clearance special at Fleet Farm two years ago. There were two left and I want to say they were under $100. I should have bought them both but didn't because it wasn't in the budget to begin with. Should have just went for it, oh well.

      Delete
  3. Ooooh! A Greenhouse! That looks like a great idea for the potatoes. I did potatoes for the first time two years ago and they just didn't turn out well, so I ended up not planting any last year. I don't know if it was the dry 115 degree days we had all summer or what. Great job on your food purchaces!

    ReplyDelete