Wednesday, January 5, 2011

~ Organic Gardening and Farming Books

Even with snow on the ground and sub-zero temperatures I have been thinking about spring and gardens and starting seeds. These are books I have read or they are on my list. I am a picture person, I have to see it to understand what you are talking about so I love books with lots of great pictures, especially when it comes to greenhouses and farm buildings. I check as many books out from the library as I can. If I really like a book I will order it. In my opinion, there is nothing worse than spending good money on a not so great book.
The Greenhouse Book by Sidney Clapham
The Greenhouse Expert by Dr.D.G. Hessayon
The Backyard Homestead;Produce all the food you need on just a quarter acre! Edited by Carleen Madigan
Organic Gardening in Cold Climates by Sandra Perrin
Old-Time Gardening Wisdom by Jerry Baker ~ Learned so much from this one.
The Practical Homestead by Paul Heiney ~ Love this one, great pictures too!
Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew
Square Foot Gardening Lesson Plans for Kids by Mel Bartholomew ~ I will be ordering this!
I have always loved catalog shopping. When I was little I would page through the J.C.Penny catalog and circle all of the things I would have loved to have. Now my catalogs of choice are seed catalogs. These are a few of my favorite companies.
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
Heirloomseeds.com ~ no catalog but awesome variety
Turtle Tree Seeds ~ I have never ordered from them but have heard rave reviews, ordered catalog
Fedco Seeds

2 comments:

  1. Megan-I wanted to start growing some veges in the backyard. I really want to start small, maybe 2 different kinds of vegetables. I know nothing about gardening. Can you recommend a beginner's book on organic gardening?

    Tropical Traditions has Coconut Flour. 2 packs of 4.4lbs is $18. I know they have free shipping days every once in awhile. That would be a little over $4 a lb. Bob's Red Mill at Whole Foods is twice that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I awarded you one of The Stylish Bloggers Award. If you'd like to participate go to http://nurturedfamilylife.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html

    Hope you're having a great day :)

    ReplyDelete